Personal development, self-improvement, self-help personal growth, and self-growth (whatever you choose to call it) are all a waste of time. This overhyped new age nonsense is nothing more than a big money-making fraud.
Just another trick to take money from your wallet while convincing you that your life will change for the better once the secrets hidden deep inside self-help books, CDs, videos, tele-classes, blogs, podcasts, email courses, and live seminars are revealed.
So was I told, by many a people who got nothing out of their investment in self-help related products. And guess what, they were right, but for the wrong reasons.
They attended the seminars, read the books, listened to the audios, received the email courses in their inboxes, attended tele-classes—but that is all they did. And that is exactly why they failed at changing their lives for the better.
Here are the 4 main reasons why self-help material doesn’t change your life the way you expect it to change.
1. SELF-HELP MATERIAL IS NOT SUPPOSED TO CHANGE YOUR LIFE ANYWAY
Huh? Before you start bashing me in the comments section below, keep your hands away from the keyboard and let me explain myself first.
Self-help material is knowledge and pure knowledge is of no use unless it is properly understood and then consistently applied in your day to day life.
Most of the people who complain about self-help material not changing their lives, never even step on the first ladder of effort, which is an absolute necessity for behavioral change.
They were inspired, yes, but of what use is an inspiration if it just remains that—an inspiration!?
2. CHANGE HAPPENS IF YOU REALLY REALLY REALLY DO WANT TO CHANGE YOUR LIFE
Change is an internal phenomenon. It cannot be forced upon you. Even you, yourself, can not force yourself to change unless you first create a real, genuine and valid desire to change your life.
Even if I put a handgun to your head and ask you to change your behavior, you won’t be able to do that. Yeah okay maybe you hand me over your wallet for the time being but once I’m gone with the wind, you will be back to your normal self again after filing a complaint with the police.
The point is, that it is YOU, who must have the ultimate desire to change your life and not any personal development book or self-help video that make you feel like want to change your life. Sorry, it just doesn’t happen that way.
3. CHANGE HAPPENS WHEN YOUR INTERNAL CONFLICTS ARE RESOLVED FIRST
I can inspire and motivate the hell out of you and so can many other people related to the self improvement niche, but it will amount to nothing unless you first put in the work to resolve your internal conflicts.
Internal conflicts include your default belief systems. For example if you believe that rich people get rich by involving themselves in dirty affairs, then no matter how badly you want to be financially independent, and no matter how good an advice you get, you won’t get rich.
Even if you win a multi million dollar lottery, you will get back to your internally accepted level of financial scarcity or abundance within a short span of time.
If you don’t believe me do a Google search on the life histories of people who got rich by winning lotteries and you will know what I mean.
4. MOST OF THE SELF-HELP MATERIAL YOU COME ACROSS IS JUST FLUFF
I have been in this field of personal development for more than 20 years and I can say with conviction that only 10% of the self-help material is really worth paying for. Paying for, both in the sense of time and money, more importantly time.
So I don’t blame you if you weren’t able to distinguish between what is good self-help material and what is just rubbish posing to be a self-help product.
So learn to make a better choice by the help of reviews, personal experiences of people who have subjected themselves to any such material and your own intuition.
So these are the 4 biggies that why self-help material doesn’t really help you change your life and now here is what I suggest that you do to make yourself change your life with good personal development products.
10 WAYS TO CHANGE YOUR LIFE BY USING GOOD SELF-HELP MATERIAL
1. Decide to change if you want to change your life. A decision is like burning the boats. You are not coming back to the shore.
2. Resolve your inner conflicts and work on your beliefs about the area of your life that you want to change.
3. Always opt for the best material available even if you have to pay a lot for it. It will be worth it in the end.
4. Take baby steps. Work on one area of your life at a time. That might be relationships, financial abundance, mental clarity, productivity or whatever. Choose the area which bothers you the most first and then work your way to the other areas of your life.
Read also: How To Express Yourself?
5. Involve your friends and family that have your best interest in their hearts to keep you on the track by giving you positive feedback.
6. Let go of the friends and people who discourage you and make you feel down.
7. In your mind’s eye see yourself as you want to be in the future and not as you are right now. Use the power of visualization to ease your journey.
8. Know that changing life is not a one step process. It is a journey of many miles and some of them are really hard to get through.
9. When the tough times come, keep on moving forward even if you have to crawl. It will pass. Surely it will pass.
10. And lastly and most importantly convert the self-help knowledge you acquire into a life changing force by taking consistent action in the right, well defined and consciously chosen direction.
If you do all that and still one day come to me, and tell me that the self-help material didn’t really help you, I’ll pick up a brick and (no I won’t throw it on your head), sit on it and open my laptop and ask you read this article again.
So in order to save me and yourself that trouble, please bookmark it right now and share it with your friends and family, who have been complaining about the same issue.