Quick and Easy! Just right for dinner after work!
I’m always on the lookout now for quick and easy recipes since I’m working a couple of days at Candace’s shop. After putting in my 6+ hours, I usually don’t want to spend the rest of my afternoon and evening in the kitchen cooking. LOL! So . . . that’s where this Quick and Easy Chicken Broccoli Pasta comes in.
I just happened across this recipe on Gal On A Mission‘s website while googling recipes to make using canned chicken. I sometimes have cooked chicken frozen in 2 cup quantities in the freezer, but not today. But I ALWAYS keep really good canned premium white meat chicken in my pantry. And, in looking at Chelsea’s recipe for her Chicken Broccoli Pasta Skillet Casserole, I saw that I could make it even easier than her recipe without sacrificing the taste.
The Quick and Easy Chicken Broccoli Pasta recipe . . .
I made a few changes/ substitutions to Chelsea’s Chicken Broccoli Pasta recipe:
- Her recipe called for 2 chicken breast which had to be cooked and chopped. I substituted 2 cans of chicken, drained. Way more convenient and easy.
- I used a 12-ounce package of frozen broccoli. She indicated you could use either fresh or frozen. Frozen is also easier and more convenient, though both would be great and taste the same.
- The pasta in her ingredient list wasn’t specific . . . just 16-ounces. I used the rainbow twist pasta. I thought it would give the dish more color:)
- She lists a can of homemade cream of chicken soup, which was 2 1/2 cups, but her homemade soup wasn’t concentrated. I used 2 cans of cream of chicken soup plus some milk. You could probably use chicken broth as well.
- Her instructions say to sprinkle the cheese on top of the dish, then broil until the cheese melts. She used a skillet, but I used a large pot which I wasn’t sure should be placed under the broiler, so I stirred the cheese into my dish. It was good, but probably broiling the cheese would give it more texture and the cheese would be more prominent.
Making this Quick and Easy Chicken Broccoli Pasta is really easy, and just takes a few simple steps:
Once the pasta and broccoli are boiled and drained, you mix them together with the chicken chunks. Then, stir in the cream of chicken soup and milk.
Sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese on top and either stir into the other ingredients to melt, or place under the broiler until the cheese melts.
Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. I served mine with hot, buttered, fresh corn and Blackberry Cobbler! (That’s another post!)
Would you prefer stirring the cheese into the pasta, or broiling it until the cheese melts on top?
Quick and Easy Chicken Broccoli Pasta Recipe
(Adapted from a similar recipe on www.galonamission.com)
- 2 (13-ounce) cans chicken, drained (I use really good premium canned chicken.)
- 1 (12-ounce) package frozen broccoli florets
- 1 (16-ounce) package rainbow twirl pasta
- 2 (10 1/2-ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1/2-3/4 cup milk or chicken broth (Use more or less to get the creamy consistency you like.)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese*
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, boil pasta according to package directions. Drain, and return pasta to the pot.
- In a separate saucepan, boil frozen broccoli just until it is no longer frozen so it will maintain it’s bright green color.
- Add the soup and milk. Stir gently until combined. Add more if it is not creamy enough or the consistency you like.
- Stir in chicken chunks.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese on top. Either stir into the pasta to melt, or place the pan under the broiler just until the cheese on top is melted.
*NOTE: I used more than 1/2 cup shredded cheese because I stirred mine into the pasta, then sprinkled more on top. This, too, is where you can add more or less cheese, depending on the preference of you and your family.