An Easy Chocolate Pie for Christmas . . .
Candace called me the other day and asked about making an easy Chocolate Pie for Christmas. She had seen a picture of one on a restaurant blog she follows. When I looked at the picture, it looked just like one Mama makes that Aunt Faye had given her years ago. We call it, Aunt Faye’s Chocolate Refrigerator Pie. The only difference was the crust and the chocolate curls on top.
So, when I went to Mama’s Friday, she and I made her easy Chocolate Pie, with a few substitutions. We named hers, Mama’s Easy Chocolate Pie . . . because it is super easy!
Making Mama’s Easy Chocolate Pie . . .
The original recipe for Mama’s Easy Chocolate Pie calls for a homemade pecan cookie crust. The picture of the one Candace sent me had an Oreo crust. Well, neither Mama nor I wanted to try to make a homemade Oreo crust, so I bought a chocolate graham cracker crust. I didn’t see an Oreo crust, but they are usually available on the baking aisle in most grocery stores. Of course, if you have the time, make one!
I also bought a Hershey’s Milk Chocolate Bar to grate for the chocolate curls/ shavings on top. I called Candace to see how to make the chocolate curls . . . she said, “YouTube it, Mama!” This new generation . . . I would never have thought of YouTube!!! But, I did find several videos, and decided to use Mama’s grater she got for a wedding present in 1949 to grate the chocolate:)
One suggestion about the chocolate: Refrigerate the chocolate bar so that it is cold before you try to grate it. And, grate it on the coarse side (largest holes) of the grater. You can also use a potato peeler, but I didn’t try that since I knew Mama had a grater.
Other additions . . . don’t go there!
I also added some white cupcake balls to the top, which you can see in the picture above. That was a waste of time and money for these reasons:
- The balls rolled off the topping.
- They didn’t show up anyway.
- They were hard when you bit into them.
MORAL: Don’t add any sprinkles that will! The chocolate shavings/ curls is enough! LOL!
As you can see from the recipe, Mama’s Easy Chocolate Pie has few ingredients, is easy to make, and is delicious! It is also a pretty pie for Christmas with the whipped topping and chocolate curls. Even if you use a store-bought chocolate or Oreo crust, place the foil pie pan in a pretty pie plate to serve. Your guests won’t care . . . I promise!
What is your favorite pie for Christmas?
Mama’s Easy Chocolate Pie Recipe
- 1 (9-inch) chocolate graham cracker crumb crust, or an Oreo crust (these are found on the baking aisle)
- 4-ounces cream cheese
- ½ cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1 (8-ounce) frozen whipped topping, thawed and divided
- 1 (4-ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix, sifted
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 1/2 (2.6-ounce) Hershey’s Milk Chocolate Bar, grated–(grate more if you want more chocolate on the top)
- In a mixing bowl, mix cream cheese with powdered sugar and beat until fluffy.
- Fold ½ cup whipped topping into cream cheese mixture.
- In a separate bowl, mix sifted instant pudding mix with milk.* Beat 2 minutes on low speed on mixer.
- Combine instant pudding mix and cream cheese mixture.
- Pour into cooled crust.
- Spread thawed whipped topping on top.
- Sprinkle the grated chocolate shavings/ curls on top of the whipped topping.
- Refrigerate until serving time.
NOTE: We have been noticing that the instant chocolate pudding sometimes has clumps in it which don’t all dissolve in the pie filling. Mama and I decided that the pudding mix should probably be sifted to remove the little clumps. That’s just out opinion, for what it’s worth:)