Angels and Shepherds Dinner Salad . . .
In keeping with my theme for my “Angels and Shepherd’s” Celebrating Christ in Christmas” dinner, I chose this Heavenly Layered Salad to accompany the main dish. This salad was created from my mother’s Layered Salad and another one called, “Heavenly Layered Salad”. I took some of the ingredients and ideas from each to create this version.
Mama’s Layered Salad is all green, with lettuce, green pepper, green peas and celery. Green represents life. The other Heavenly Layered Salad is a 7-layer salad with other ingredients, like tomatoes and mushrooms in it. Both recipes have lettuce, frozen peas, and cheddar cheese. Also, Mama’s recipe uses mayonnaise, the other salad uses Miracle Whip. Since I like Miracle Whip better, I chose that. But, you can use mayonnaise.
So, I decided which ingredients would best represent a heavenly salad and created a somewhat new recipe. I used two types of lettuce, green pepper, green onion, celery and green peas. All green, for life.
Making the Heavenly Layered Salad . . .
There are a couple of things to consider before you begin to make this Heavenly Layered Salad:
- One is, you may or may not use the amounts given for the different ingredients. For example, if you are going to make this Heavenly Layered Salad for a large group, you will need to use the amounts listed. If you will be serving a few people, you could make half the recipe. Remember to half the Dressing amounts also.
- Also, the dish you serve this salad in adds to its presentation. I used to make Mama’s Layered Salad in my clear glass trifle bowl. It was broken last Christmas, so for this salad I used a clear glass bowl. A clear bowl allows you to see the different layers.
Once you have determined the amounts and the dish you will use, prepare the vegetables–wash, dry, cut or tear, and set aside until time to begin layering.
I used two types of lettuce: Romaine and Iceberg. I had both so I used both. But, you can use the type your family likes. Romaine generally holds up better than Iceberg, in my opinion, if you are going to use only one.
Once all the veggies are prepared, start layering–beginning with the Romaine lettuce and ending with the frozen green peas. You can see that my peas are still frozen! But they will thaw out before you serve the salad. I promise!
Set the layered salad aside and mix up the Dressing. It consists of TWO ingredients: Miracle Whip and a little sugar. Then, spread it all over the top of the salad. Cover. Refrigerate. Wait for dinner!
Just before serving, sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese and the bacon pieces! Mama sometimes uses Real Bacon Bits that you buy in the salad dressing section of the grocery store. I cooked bacon for mine. You can use either.
This is a wonderful salad for any season of the year. It makes a nice presentation for your menu as well as on the plate.
If you make this Heavenly Layered Salad, would you prefer to use all the green vegetables or add some tomatoes and mushrooms for a contract in color and texture?
Heavenly Layered Salad Recipe
Layered salads can’t be beat when you are looking for something easy to make for your own dinners as well as to take to other functions and parties.
- 2 stalk of Romaine lettuce, chopped or torn in bite-size pieces
- 1 head of Iceberg lettuce, chopped or torn in bite-size pieces
- 1-2 green pepper, chopped
- 3-4 green onion, chopped
- 3-4 stalks celery, chopped or sliced
- 1/2 (10-ounce) package frozen green peas (If you use a 9″x13″ baking dish, you would use the whole package in order to have enough to cover the salad.)
Ingredients for Dressing and Topping:
- 2 ½ cups Miracle Whip (I used 2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 slices bacon, fried crisp, drained and chopped or torn into small chunks
- Place salad ingredients in a 9 x 12-inch dish or glass bowl in the order given—beginning with the Romaine lettuce.
- In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise and sugar together for the dressing.
- Spread over the vegetables, covering the top, which seals the vegetables together.
- Cover the dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate until serving time.
- Before serving, spread shredded cheese on top and bacon bits.
NOTE: Do not add the shredded cheese or bacon bits until serving time.