For many people, soaking up the sun in summer is important. In the process, sun protection is forgotten. The sun can also be very dangerous for us – especially for our skin. It has long been known that UV rays from the sun are the number one environmental risk for skin cancer. Therefore, you should definitely pay attention to the right sun protection when sunbathing.
Sun protection is important! Ideally, the sunscreen should consist of natural ingredients and be gentle on our sun-stressed skin. However, the choices in sunscreens, thus far, have not been great in my opinion because of the ingredients and the hard-to-rub-on white mess most of the heavy duty sunscreens are made of. I have been able to find better shampoo alternatives without questionable ingredients relatively easily but sunscreens are a completely different story for me.
Earlier I used to try popular commercial sunscreens I found in local stores, figuring my family’s risk for skin cancer was greater than the side effects from the chemicals in them. Or so I hoped.
This is why I was so excited when given this opportunity to try Goddess Garden Organics that are made with non-toxic, mineral and natural ingredients. Its ingredient list looked extremely promising to me. Had I found MY perfect sunscreen?
Disclaimer: Now please remember, I am NOT a doctor. This is my story and my conclusions alone. You should absolutely do your own research and choose the option that is best for you.
Let’s back up a bit and talk about how the sun damages our skin.
How the Sun Damages Our Skin
Body and mind relax especially during spring walks. But in the midst of all this happiness, we often forget one very important thing: protecting our skin from UV radiation!
UV (Ultra Violet) rays are short electromagnetic waves that come from the sun. When they reach us, they penetrate the skin. The sun contains two major types of ultraviolet (UV) rays. UVB rays are also known as the burning rays. UVA rays, the aging rays, penetrate much deeper and can cause more serious damage to cells. UVA rays are able to penetrate clouds and are around even in winter months.
In addition, the damage to your skin caused by exposure to the sun (both UVA and UVB rays) is cumulative. Even tanning is evidence of sun damage. Tanning is actually your skins attempt to protect itself from the sun. Sun exposure can cause wrinkles, sun spots, sunburns, and cancer.
The best option is to avoid the sun during peak times and to use clothing and hats to shade your skin. This is great advice, but you can’t avoid the sun ALL the time. Sunscreens must be part of this equation.
Trouble Finding The Perfect Sunscreen
For years, I bought the sunscreen I was told to buy. This was one area where I was not comfortable straying from my doctor’s advice. I heard the word CANCER and freaked! At the time, there weren’t many other alternatives that did the jobs I needed them to do – products that would protect my skin but not cause potential damage because of the ingredients. I felt like I was choosing between tanning a bit or preventing skin cancer for my children! Talk about Mom guilt!
As I did more research on personal care products, I really became conflicted. I wasn’t entirely comfortable putting some of the chemicals on my skin and on my children. But “family history of melanoma” loomed in my head.
And in comes Goddess Garden sunscreens, I was very excited!
What I Like About Goddess Garden Sunscreens
- According to Environmental Working Group (EWG), their toxicity rating is very low.
- The sunscreens are very stable. Sunscreens that are not stable can break down over time and with exposure to heat making them less effective. Sunscreen stability was something my doctor’s stressed.
- Goddess Garden uses a mineral sunscreen. Mineral or physical sunscreens block and deflect the sun’s rays. The alternative, chemical sunscreens, absorb the UV radiation and convert it to a small amount of heat. Personally, I like the idea of reflecting as opposed to absorbing into my skin.
- The mineral sunscreens they use, zinc and titanium dioxide, in all of their products are NON-NANO sized. According to Goddess Garden, ” The average particle size is 120nm. The range in particle sizes is 100nm to 130nm. Most definitions of “nano-particles” are under 100nm.” The issue here is that nano -particles, very small particles, could be absorbed into the skin and then the bloodstream and cause problems.
- They are broad spectrum, meaning they protect against UVA and UVB rays.
- Goddess Garden does not leave a whitish glow!
- They smell and feel great! They feel light and not greasy at all. Can’t say that about many sunscreens! This makes them very easy to wear all year long.
- The other ingredients used are fabulous for your skin! Among them are aloe vera, sunflower oil, shea butter and, in the facial sunscreens, Helichrysum essential oil! This essential oil is anti-inflammatory and antioxidant which is great for anti-aging.
I have been using the Natural Sunscreen with SPF 30 daily. It feels wonderful! It is light, non-greasy, non-whitening, and feels very hydrating. And oh did I mention the lavender scent! I have replaced my morning moisturizer with this one. By the way, I still have the occasional issues with breakouts and this has not caused me any troubles.
My children have been trying the Kids Natural Sunscreen SPF 30 and the Kids Natural Sunscreen Continuous Sports Spray SPF 30. Great success! They are easy to rub in and don’t feel heavy and greasy. My children thank you, Goddess Garden! I do not let them out of the house without sunscreen and they don’t fight me so much with these.
Personally, I feel like I have found a great product. No questionable ingredients and it will do the job of protecting our skin from the sun. I of course urge you to do your own research, talk to your dermatologist, and come to a decision that is best for you.