Our Girls Only Luncheon, a Fall Family Gathering!
Apples are in season now. And with that comes many opportunities to make and create delicious apple salads, desserts, and even breads! Plus, it gives us a chance to celebrate both the change in season from summer to fall. With that in mind, I decided to host a “Girls Only Luncheon” for my Mama, my sister, Jeri, and her two daughters, Amber and Cara, and my two cousins, LaNan and Vicki. I planned for it to be served at Mama’s house, because they all live in her hometown, and I would be there anyway on Friday.
Since there are so many delicious apples available now, I decided to make the luncheon one featuring this wonderful fall fruit. Therefore, most of the recipes have apples in them. Yum!!!
Preparing for the Girls Only Luncheon . . .
Because I live around 40 miles from Mama, and I needed to be there early to begin cooking, I had to make some advance preparations to be able to get there on time:
- I cooked the chicken, cooled it, and pre-measured it in a covered bowl. I placed it in the refrigerator to be easy to grab the next morning.
- I cooked the rice, cooled it, and pre-measured it in a container for the casserole. I placed it in the fridge as well.
- I made the Oreo Pie, placed it in the refrigerator. I did not finish it until the next day at Mama’s.
- I gathered all my ingredients, pecans, dried cranberries, that didn’t have to be refrigerated, and placed them in bags on my bar.
- I placed all refrigerated foods/ ingredients together in the fridge so I wouldn’t forget something the next morning.
- I picked out the casserole dish, and serving dishes and spoons, and placed them on my bar.
- I gathered the cookbooks, recipes I would need and also put them with the items on the bar.
- I had already made the Spiced Sugar and Spice Muffins, which I added to my refrigerator stash. They were frozen, but would thaw out before serving.
So the next morning, all I had to do was grab the things from the bar and refrigerator, load them in my car, and go. The only thing I forgot was to boil the eggs, which Mama did for me while I was traveling.
Making the foods for the Luncheon . . .
Mama’s Hot Chicken and Rice Salad had to bake in the oven, so I made it first.
The next dish was the Broccoli Apple Salad, followed by the Apple Waldorf Salad. I chopped the apples for both, then made the recipes. The salads were somewhat similar, but the broccoli was the “vegetable” salad. I made these while the Hot Chicken and Rice Casserole baked in the oven.
The last thing I did was finish the Oreo Pie. I made the pie the night before, all but adding the crushed Oreo Cookies to the top. So, I added the crushed Oreos on top of the whipped topping, and placed it back in the refrigerator until serving time. It’s a delicious, quick and easy pie with 4 layers that are “heavenly” . . . perfect for a Ladies Luncheon, or anytime for that matter!
Then it was time to set up the buffet.
Mama’s Hot Chicken and Rice Salad, Broccoli Apple Salad, Apple Waldorf Salad, and Spiced Sugar and Cinnamon Apple Muffins.
Lunch is served!
Mama (L to R) Amber, Vicki, and Jeri
(L to R) Jeri, Cara, and Lanan
The lunch was delicious:) We served tea, water, and soft drinks for those who wanted it.
(L to R) Spiced Sugar and Cinnamon Apple Muffin, Apple Waldorf Salad, Broccoli Apple Salad, and Mama’s Hot Chicken and Rice Salad
And then dessert . . . that yummy Oreo Pie that makes your mouth water just looking at it!
At the end of the day . . .
It was a lovely luncheon, filled with good food, family and fellowship with loved ones! A perfect combination for a Family Gathering:)