Sometimes it appears as if life’s sole purpose is to learn and grow. We improve as a result of our failures. I’ve noticed that most of us don’t learn until we’ve made a mistake and had to deal with the consequences.
I’ve also seen that the majority of us keep making the same mistakes and, as a result, keep drawing the same kinds of circumstances into our lives, which we then complain about.
There are some of us who learn from the mistakes of others. The majority among us though must go out there, make their own mistakes, learn from them, change their thinking and behavior and move on. These are the wise ones.
So making a mistake unknowingly is not as bad as making it intentionally. Learning from your mistakes in incomplete without a change in your thinking patterns. Changed thought patterns bring about changed behavior.
Here are some life lessons I learnt after making mistakes. I am sharing them with you in the hope that you may be among the wise ones.
1. The most sincere and selfless people around you are your parents. They maybe wrong sometimes and maybe hard on you but don’t just rebel against them without trying to understand their intentions first.
2. Save some part of your money whenever you get some and don’t touch it unless you really really need it.
3. Spend most of your money on things whose value increase with time, rather than immediate pleasure. It won’t last long otherwise.
4. There is no shortcut to being rich. Anyone who tells you so is lying and most probably a cheat.
5. Time is more important than money.
6. Family is more important than career.
7. Pursue what you love to do and be great at it and find a way to make a living doing that.
8. If you are unable to make a living while doing what you love don’t stop doing what you love to do, and while you make your living doing something else keep thinking how can do what you love and still live of it.
9. Life is unpredictable. Make sure your loved ones know that you love and care for them, no matter how busy you are. Never assume they know. Even if they know tell them anyway.
10. Read good books instead of watching TV. You will learn more and waste less time.
11. Don’t buy what they advertise just on an impulse. Take your time to decide if you really need that thing.
12. Change your friends if they do not share your values. It won’t kill you or your reputation.
13. Take risks but calculate the risks before taking them to see that you can handle the failure.
14. Plan your life but leave room for unplanned activities too. Let yourself experience the element of surprise.
15. Remember that nothing lasts forever. Nothing. So appreciate what you have when you have it.
16. Find your own God. Don’t believe in what they tell you about God. Find Him within you. Reach out for Him and He will hold your hand for sure.
17. It’s better to agree to disagree rather than trying to force your point of view on someone who doesn’t think like you do.
18. Accept your failures with grace and don’t bury yourself in depression when you don’t get what you want. There might be something better waiting for you to notice it.
19. Loving someone does not mean you have to agree on everything.
20. When you are doing something try to focus all your attention to just that task. Forget about everything else.
21. Things that are simple to accomplish are not always the best. Patience and forbearance are required for the greatest results. Hard work and planning lead to happiness and success.
22. Not everything is about you. Do not believe that you are being pursued. It’s usually about them, not about you.
23. Always keep a boundary. If you come across someone who lights your soul on fire, chase them down. But don’t be too zealous. Space is essential for personal development and the development of a sense of longing.
24. Skills are more important that certificates. Our educational system is currently focused on certifications, but this will not be the case for long. Things used to be simple when the government was the largest employer of graduates, but that’s no longer the case.
25. Be healthy. Exercise, eat healthy foods, sleep well and you won’t get to see very many doctors in life.
26. Don’t do things just because everyone else is doing them. Choose what you want to do consciously with specific reasoning.
27. Be careful whom you take advice from. Don’t take anyone’s advise at face value. Many people will try, but you should be cautious about who you seek advise from on a frequent basis, especially when it comes to major life issues.
These are the very basic lessons I learnt from life. You make your own mistakes and learn them or you can just be the wise one.